– Published January 02, 2019
If you’re asking yourself – How can I learn to code? How can I make a website? Where do I start? – then you’ve come to the right place.
Please add your suggestions in the comments and I’ll try to update this list regularly.
Learning, gamified! Probably the most fun way to learn a new language.
- Code Wars - Improve your skills by training with others on real code challenges.
- Exercism - Code practice and mentorship for everyone.
- hackr.io - Find the Best Programming Courses & Tutorials.
Web Development Playgrounds
Places to write code online. No need to install anything!
- JSBin - One of the most popular web development playgrounds.
- JSFiddle - JSFiddle is a lightweight cloud JS editor designed for developers who want to tweak and test blocks of JS, CSS and HTML code.
- Codiad - Codiad is a web-based IDE framework with a small footprint and minimal requirements.
- Plunker - Plunker is an online community for creating, collaborating on and sharing your web development ideas.
- Codepen - A playground for the more creative people. Pens often include inspirational CSS, Canvas and WebGL examples.
All the knowledge for free.
- Understanding ECMAScript 6 - Provides a great understanding of ECMAScript 6 features.
- You Don’t Know JS (book series) – Series of books diving deep into language.
My favourite way to learn. Grab a coffee, do some cooking, and learn.
- FunFunFunction - Educational plus entertaining YouTube show covering language features as well as architectural topics amongst others.
- Debugging The Web - Learn state of the art in debugging using Chrome dev tools.
- == ? === ??? …#@^% - Basic talk about type coercion and strict type comparison.
- Promises Are So Passé - Talk that shows where async goes next, why it matters, and what you need to do to put it into practice today.
ES6 and Above
- ES2015 [ES6] cheatsheet containing tips, tricks, best practices and code snippets - Another excellent cheatsheet, also partnered with with slides.
- Setting up ES6 - Explains how to set up ES6 projects that are transpiled to ES5.
- ES6 Overview - Bullet point overview including in-depth articles.
- ES6 Katas - Learn ES6 by solving unit test online.
- Practical ES6 - eBook with practical examples and advices.
- 30 seconds of code - Useful ES6 snippets that you can understand in 30 seconds or less.
Document-Object-Model, i.e. the structure of web pages in a browser.
- DOM Enlightenment - A whole book about how to access an manipulate the DOM without a library.
- MDN - Simply the best language reference.
- DevDocs - Search MDN comfortably. Even offline.
- The Art of Node - Introductory tutorial covering the basics.
- NodeSchool - Interactive self guided workshops you can also do on your own.
- Node Patterns - Short books about code and networking patterns related to Node.js.
- Learn Node - A premium training course to learn to build apps with Node.js, Express, MongoDB.